Recipe By, Kim Knox
Think 30 Minutes… to Mozzarella
I kid you not. My husband believes I possess super human, Goddess-like powers because I make cheese.
And for this power, I have to thank and credit Ricki Carroll, of New England Cheesemaking Supply Company.
Now, here detailed, and with permission, I give you…
Stainless steel pot
Stainless slotted spoon
Thermometer (I use a laser thermometer)
Stainless steel long knife—long enough to reach to the bottom of the pan
Microwave safe bowl
1 gallon fresh 2% milk
• Pour the milk into the pan.
• Stir 1 ½ tsp Citric Acid into 1 cup cool water and stir into the milk.
• Heat slowly to 90° F.
• Remove from the heat.
• Stir ¼ tsp Rennet into ¼ cup cool water and stir into the milk mixture for 30 seconds. Cover and leave for 5 minutes.
• Check the curd… it should feel like a custard. If not, give another minute or so.
• Cut the curd in the pan into a 1 inch square pattern with your knife.
• Heat to 105° F while stirring slowly
• Take off of the heat and continue stirring slowly for 2 – 5 minutes.
• Transfer the curd to your colander with the slotted spoon. Notice how the curd becomes firmer as the whey drains.
• Press the curd to aid the draining.
• Place into a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute.
• Pour off the whey and begin kneading—the curd/cheese will be almost too hot to handle.
• Add salt to the kneading process, as you like.
• Continue kneading, reheating as needed.
At this point the cheese will become stretchable—stretch it and then form it into a smooth, shiny ball.
• It is ready to eat when it cools!
Instructional videos can be seen on the New England Cheesemaking website, along with many more recipes. They also supply all of the ingredients you may need to make their lovely products.
Truly, check them out! And develop your own super-human powers!
Check out Kim’s website: betterthanyouimagined.com